Save on Career Education through Lorman Education
Our readers are offered a discount on Lorman seminars and courses. Check out their business, management and legal offers at this link to qualify for our discounts. They also offer green business training opportunities. Please visit http://www.lorman.com/training/CaliforniaGreenSolutions for a complete listing of courses. Register online or call Lorman at 866-352-9539.
Green Parking Solutions
Green parking solutions can save money, save time, and make significant impacts on cleaner air, cleaner water and more sustainable, walkable urban communities.
Green transportation encompasses reducing transport for people and goods, as well as accommodating new vehicles that require plug-in access, using solar panels in parking lots...and many more green strategies to reduce costs of transportation and fuel.
Some of the major cost-saving, green, parking solutions include:
- Reduced lighting in parking lots and parking structures by using CFLs, LEDs or other high efficiency fixtures.
- Use of natural light with light wells, solar tubes, etc. in parking structures
- Reduced runoff of stormwater and irrigation waters to support cleaner groundwater for the community
- Trees and arbors to reduce urban heat island effects from heat created by dark paved surfaces
- Access to electrical, natural gas, biodiesel refilling stations
- Access to public transportation ... to reduce the need for expanded parking structures or spaces
- Use of solar reflective surfaces that reduce the amount of radiation from parking surfaces.
- Multi-purpose use of parking space by adding solar PV or solar thermal roofs to generate electricity
- Carpooling to reduce the number of vehicles used for personal transportation -- company owned cars for employees using public tranportation can reduce the number of vehicles that must be accomodated.
There are continual upgrades and innovations that optimize transportation and can save money when planned in conjunction with other goals, such as employee retention, reduced energy costs, and making use of shared sustainable community resources.
State transportation departments offer many incentives for using public transportation, reducing runoff, and other urgent goals. The federal Department of Energy and EPA also offer information and programs to improve transportation options and solutions.
More Articles about Greener Transportation
Chevy Volt Named Car of the Year
Transportation Technology Leaps Forward in California with Jobs and CleanTech
NEW: 2010 National Vehicle Standards for Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Fuel Cells Develop as Military Solutions
Transportation Solutions for Employees and Consumers
Supply Chain Logistics for Transportation Efficiency
Fuel Strategies for Fleets and Business Transportation
Trucking, Delivery and Shipping for Business Distribution
Edited by Carolyn Allen